Favorite Quotation: “The Saviour desired His followers to have a knowledge of the foe whom they were to meet, that they might not be deceived and overcome by his devices” (p. 515).
Lessons I’ve Learned
- Angels are sent on missions of mercy to God’s children. A guardian is appointed to each follower of Christ (p. 512).
- God wants his people to not only recognize His activity in their lives but also the activity of the enemy.
- In contrast to Legion, demon possession can also be subtle: not all who are afflicted with evil spirits suffer visibly (p. 516).
God does not want us to be confused. Satan exists. Demon possession is real. Yet, not all who are demon possessed are unrestraint, raging and ready to do violence to anyone who approaches. Possession may take a more sophisticated form, such as in the examples of Simon Magus (Acts 8:9-24), Elymas the sorcerer (Acts 13:8), and the girl who followed Paul and Silas at Philippi (Acts 16:16-18).
When Christ cast the evil spirits (who named themselves Legion) into a large herd of swine (Mark 5:9-13), he uncovered the spirits’ real purpose: the complete destruction of their host. We may lock our houses and protect our homes, but we should also consider the need for protection against evil agents. Christ is able to both restrain these forces and protect His people.
- What evidence is there for the existence of angels before the creation of man? How many were there? Do we know anything about their power?
- What do we know about the ministry of guardian angels?
- What is the origin of evil spirits, or angels?
- What benefits results from Christ’s encounter with a ‘legion’ of evil spirits?
- How might you be susceptible to deceptive spirits?
Family Worship Activity
Explore the passages above then:
- Discuss how Jesus, His disciples and apostles responded to demonic activity?
- What example do they provide for us today?
- What action(s) can we take to avoid the introduction of demonic activity in our home?
Cassini Nazir is married to Alisa Nazir, his wife of seven years, and has been a member of the Richardson SDA church since 1998. He teaches design courses at The University of Texas at Dallas.