A few weeks ago I preached from Mark 5:1-20 about Secrets of Demons. Click here (or see below) for a copy of the paper I shared called “Praying for Deliverance.” May it help you put your trust fully in Jesus and the power of His indwelling Holy Spirit to find deliverance from demonic intimidation for you and/or your friends.
Praying for Deliverance Questionnaire
See Ephesians 4:27, 6:10-18; 1 Peter 5:8-9.
As you read through the following lists, ask the Holy Spirit to recall to your mind every involvement you have had. Keep in mind that many of these activities are clearly of the occult; others may not be as apparent. Please mark any and all activities, even if there is a question in your mind as to their occult nature, so that you are confident that you renounce all possible occult or demonic influence in your life.
It is not the purpose to teach about each and every activities and why they are considered as possible sources of occult activity; rather, the questions offer a solid framework for occult renouncement.
Circle each area in which you have participated, whether or not it was “just for fun,” out of curiosity or in earnest.
See Deuteronomy 18:9-16; Isaiah 2:6; Daniel 2:26-28; Acts 16:16.
1. Have you ever had your fortune told by tea leaves, palm reading, a crystal ball, a fortune-teller or any other means?
2. Have you ever read or followed horoscopes, or had a chart made for yourself to predict your future? Have you ever read any other type(s) of birth signs?
See Leviticus 19:31, 20:6; 1 Samuel 28:7-11; 2 Kings 21:6; Isaiah 8:19-22.
3. Have you ever attended a séance or spiritualist meeting?
4. Do you believe in reincarnation? Have you ever had a reincarnation reading?
5. Have you ever played with a Ouiji board, crystal ball, Dungeons & Dragons or other occult games or video games with occult themes?
6. Have you ever had a tarot card reading or practiced cartomancy (using playing cards for fortune-telling or other magical purposes)?
7. Have you ever played games of an occult nature, using ESP, telepathy, hypnotism, etc.?
8. Have you ever consulted a medium, spiritualist or numerologist? Have you ever acted as a medium? Have you ever practiced channeling?
9. Have you ever sought healing through magic spells or charms or through a spiritualist? Have you ever used a charm or amulet of any kind for protection or “good luck”? Are you superstitious?
10. Have you ever practiced table lifting, levitation of objects, pendulum swinging, lifting of bodies, automatic writing, astral travel or soul travel?
Occult Books, “Contact” Objects and Other Media
See Exodus 19:25-20:6; Deuteronomy 5:8-10, 7:25-26; 2 Kings 23:1-25; Psalm 97:7; Isaiah 42:17; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5.
11. Do you have anything in your home that was given to you by someone in the occult? Do you have anything in your home of an occult nature? Have you followed the writings of Edgar Cayce, Jean Dixon, Harry Potter, Twighlight or a New Age author? Do you own or like to view demonic types of books TV shows or movies?
Sorcery or Magic
See 2 Kings 17:17, 21:6; Malachi 3:5; Acts 8:11, 13:4-12, 19:19-20.
12. Have you ever practiced sorcery or magic?
13. Have you ever practiced mind control over any person or animal, cast a magic spell or sought a psychic experience? Have you ever contacted a psychic in person or through a psychic hotline?
Sins of the Flesh, Sins of the Eyes
See Matthew 5:28; Romans 6:12-14, 8:13-14; 1 Corinthians 6:13, 18-20; Galatians 5:16-21; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8; James 1:14-15; 1 Peter 2:11; 1 John 2:16.
14. Have you ever used LSD, marijuana, cocaine, crack-cocaine or any mind-expanding or mind-altering drugs? Have you ever abused prescription drugs? Have you ever had a problem with alcohol?
15. Have you ever exposed yourself to pornography in magazines, TV or stage shows, books, topless bars or X-rated movies?
16. Have you been involved in sexual deviation, homosexuality or lesbianism?
17. Have you ever had sexual relations with a person who was not your legal spouse? If possible, recall by name (first name or initial is sufficient)
18. Have you had an abortion? Have you fathered a child who was aborted? Have you been involved in abortion in any way (viewed/witnessed one, assisted in one, performed one, encouraged a friend to have one, hid a botched abortion, etc.)?
See 2 Chronicles 11:15; Psalm 106:37; 1 Corinthians 10:20-22; Revelation 9:20-21, 13:4.
19. Have you ever made a pact with Satan or been involved in or witnessed Satan worship or black magic?
See 1 Samuel 15:23, 28:7; 2 Kings 9:22, 23:24; Isaiah 8:19, 19:3, 29:4; Micah 5:12.
20. Have you ever attended witchcraft or voodoo activities?
See Exodus 20;13; Job 3:20-23; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.
21. Have you ever planned or attempted to take your own life?
22. Have you ever planned or attempted to take someone else’s life?
The Ministry of Authority
One of the important things in the area of deliverance is the knowledge of our authority as Christians. Our authority comes from the power of Jesus, through His name and His blood.
Before Jesus sent His disciples out to work in ministry, He “gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. . . . These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: . . . ‘Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons’” (Matthew 10:1, 5, 8). He also said, “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven” (John 20:23).
This is the ministry of authority, His authority, passed on to His committed followers: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” (Matthew 28:18); “As the Father has sent me, I am sending you” (John 20:21).
Jesus overcame Satan in those forty days in the wilderness, and ultimately in His death and resurrection. He has authority over Satan and all evil spirits, and they know it. When He gives an order, they obey. As His followers, we have His authority. Our authority over evil comes from our belonging to the Lord Jesus and moving in His name.
Our power comes forth from the Holy Spirit moving in us and moving out from us to destroy the enemies of God. As we live day by day in the power of the Spirit, we find ourselves more and more able to recognize the occult traps of the enemy and to move in our authority.
The following is a prayer of authority, binding the enemy and praying for a release of the Holy Spirit. You could use this before you minister.
With the authority given to me as a Christian, I bind all enemies of Christ. I pray for a release of the power of the Holy Spirit in this place. Come, Lord Jesus. Guide and direct us in all Your ways. Amen.
Another prayer that can be used specifically in the renunciation of occult involvement and the breaking of curses is also a prayer of authority. After going through the occult sheet, considering areas where Satan may have gained control in your life or in the life of the person you are ministering to. Renouncing every area as follows:
Satan, I say to you in the name of Jesus, release me and my family from any hold you have had. I take back any territory I may have given you in the name of Jesus.
A Prayer for Healing of Occult Influences
Most of us have been touched by the occult in some way and need to be cleansed and set free from the effects it has had in our lives. You may want to find some understanding Christian to join you in prayer so that as you confess these things to God, he or she can minister God’s healing to you. “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed” (James 5:16).
You may use something like the following:
Person: Lord, I confess that I have taken part in the following: [Name everything you circled in the occult sheet]. I see these now as sins and I ask Your forgiveness by the blood of Your cross.
Friend: In the name of Jesus, I thank you for forgiving (name) and he/she stands before you as if he/she had never sinned.
Person: Thank You, Lord, for this forgiveness. I renounce you, Satan, and everything you have had in me. I command you in Jesus’ name to depart from me and trouble me no more.
Friend: Holy Spirit, I ask that You would cut (name) free from every bondage to the occult world. I ask that you would close the door to that world and seal it with the blood of Jesus and bar it with His cross.
Following prayer, encourage the person to develop spiritual habits that will include prayer, Bible study, associating with Christians, Christian music and other activities that will encourage Christian growth. Encourage the newly delivered person to walk carefully in his/her healing, asking for the Lord’s protection, and staying close to His word and His people.
Adapted from Norma Dearing: The Healing Touch. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House Company, Chosen Books, 2002, pp 156-161.
Shared by Dr. Bruce Bauer, Chair, Department of World Missions, Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary (Andrews University), Berrien Springs, Michigan.