There we were in the academy gym – Chris, one of the best basketball players on campus, and me, a 9th grader who had never grown up playing basketball. I was thrilled that Chris was willing to teach me a few of his moves.
“Watch this,” he said. He started dribbled from the top of the key toward the basket, then in one smooth motion he quickly moved the basketball behind his back, under his right leg and up for a left-handed lay-up off the backboard into the basket.
He made it look so easy! I asked him to do it again and again. Finally I tried it, messing up again and again. But always he was so encouraging. I never really mastered the move, but I did become comfortable trying it.
That day I was reminded that knowing something and putting something into practice are two very different things. Moving from theory to lifestyle can be challenging!
The same is true for our walk with Jesus. We look at His life and say “I want to be like that.” But we find it difficult to put it into practice. Perhaps that’s why Jesus commissioned all of His followers to teach new believers to OBSERVE, not just know, all things that He commanded (Matthew 28:20). We must share not only the “ought to” but the “how to” as well. We must show them through our own lives how to live for Jesus in these last days.
Join us this Sabbath at Richardson (9am & 11:30am) as we look at how to put into practice some of the key truths Jesus commanded. Feel free to bring a friend. This is the final message in our series “His Commission = Your Mission.”
Here are more tools for our journey of discovering the mission Jesus gave to each of us–
“His Commission = Your Mission”
(The Great Commission – Matthew 28:18-20)
- Jan 11 “I Am With You Always”
- Jan 18 Club Ministries Sabbath
- Jan 25 “Make Disciples” Part 1
- Feb 1 “Make Disciples” Part 2
- Feb 8 Pastor Salomon Espinoza
- Feb 15 Religious Liberty Weekend, Speaker- Dr. Ed Cooke
- Feb 22 “Go to All Nations” Part 1
- Mar 1 Pastor Salomon Espinoza
- Mar 8 “Go to All Nations” Part 2
- Mar 15 Stewardship Ministries Sabbath
- Mar 22 “Baptizing them…” Part 1
- Mar 29 “Baptizing them…” Part 2
- Apr 5 “Re-baptism or Communion?” (Communion Sabbath)
- Apr 12 Pastor Gary Blanchard, Texas Conference Youth Ministries Director (Youth Sabbath)
- Apr 19 AY Ministries Sabbath, Pastor Eric Louw
- Apr 26 “Teach Them All Truth” Part 1; International Sabbath (wear your native dress and bring a native dish to the vegetarian potluck lunch)
- May 3 Pastor Salomon Espinoza
- May 10 Women’s Ministry Sabbath
- May 17 “Teach Them All Truth” Part 2
- May 24 “Teach Them All Truth” Part 3
The Great Commission
(click links for Bible Bookmarks)
“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.” Matthew 28:18-20
For best results, P.R.A.I.S.E.!
- Pray, asking God for wisdom
- Read the Bible passage for the day
- Apply the Bible passage to your life
- Interact with a Bible Study Group
- Share something good with someone
- Encourage others to join the journey
Start or Join a Group
Why not invite friends & family to join you on this journey? Pick a regular place & time each week to share what you are learning. Matthew 18:20. You’ll love it!
Additional Recommendations for
The Great Commission
Books by Ellen G. White (found at www.egwwritings.org)- Acts of the Apostles, Evangelism, Christian Service
Pathfinder Honors (found at www.pathfindersonline.org/honors/index) – Cultural Diversity Appreciation, Adventurer for Christ, Personal Evangelism, Junior Witness, Prayer
All events are open to the public and free of charge at 1201 W. Belt Line Road, Richardson, Texas. Feel free to invite a friend to join you!